What's your favorite pipe lighter?

Ashbowl

I have a Xikar Pipe Line and love it. Holds enough fuel overall, and it's very consistent in working when I need it to. Easy to hold when lighting my pipe and I like the size, as it easily fits into your pocket and you don't even know it's there. If I don't use my lighter, I'll use wooden match sticks to light my pipe.

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Generally just use wooden matches but looking at the Colibri Pipeline.

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Lately I've been using a Xikar soft flame lighter which has been working out great.

Wildcatsam77

I Like wooden matches when it's not windy or I'm inside. I use a Vector pipe lighter that is pretty good & reliable. When I have to, I use my Zippo pipe lighter but it's usually my last choice. So my favorite pipe lighter is my Vector. I tossed all the BIC'S out...lol..

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Being a long time cigar smoker, I can't agree with you more. Wooden stick matches are always the best route, yet not always convenient. The Xikar soft flame I've been using recently has been great! I bought one of those all in one lighters from P&C but it didn't last long, so now I keep my pipe tools and lighter separate. :)

Matches and Old Boy are tied for preferred lighter. So I'll have to answer Old Boy, since that was the original question.

The Kiribi lighters are close in quality to the Old Boys for a much better price. Very nice pipe lighters.

Never without a Zippo. Trusty and cool. I'm hoping they come out with a soft flame butane insert like the Thunderbirds. The torch inserts are really nice.

I like the zippo with a gas Thunderbird pipe insert. I like Kiribi Japanese lighter. I like the ones with a tamper built in and a flame snout to make it easier not to burn the pipe rim. I have a collection, some old fuel lighters especially for pipes like the 1940s Beattie model. Lighters are, like pipes, they are works of art....as well as tools, they are a kind of man jewellery that you can practically use, like a nickel plated colt 1911 or a Bowie knife😊

I love my Kiribi, but in recent weeks it sometimes will not ignite. I've replaced the flint with genuine Kiribi flints and have cleaned it. So when my patience is thin, I either use a bic lighter or matches. I also have a butane insert for my Zippo which also works OK.

Scap

I've got a Vektor soft flame, that also has a hidden torch feature that I discovered in the dark one night....but I'm really digging the Zippo for getting the whole bowl going.

My Old Boy is easily my best and favorite to use, but a zippo full of naptha and a pipe insert is my second choice! I feel positively lost without my zippo in my pocket, and the Old Boy stays at home.

Arkansas Bob

I have an old zippo with normal insert that I use. If I lost it I would mourn grievously. LOL

I have even tore apart perfectly good bic lighters just to salvage the flint out of them to keep the ole' zippo going. The little bic flints work best. :)

DRIFTER68

What ever gets the flame to the tobacco is my favorite lighter.
Yep, that is, after all, the point. I tend to use good old BIC disposables, as well as my IMCO G77R. However, there is a supply of wood matches here and most came in tobacco orders. Outdoors on windy days the old Zippo work grand. I have also used just a twig, lit in a campfire.