Samuel Gawith Black XX

Yardism

This is one of those love it or hate it blends. I happen to love it. It's reputation precedes it for most. That's what drew me towards it. Strong? It can be. Flavorful? Absolutely. Enjoyable? That's for you to decide.

It is the most unique tobacco I've tried. Most blends generally taste like other blends. Of course they have unique qualities. But generally speaking, an english tastes like an english. I'm sure there is something out there that is similar to Black XX, but I haven't found it or heard anyone talk about it.

If you are interested in a review I did a few months back, you can find it HERE.

Ah yes, Black XX. A forum friend of mine sent me some samples of Black X and XX when we did a pipe trade. I was always intrigued by this blend, but never had the courage to buy a full tin of the stuff. Now that I've had it, though, I'd buy one. It's not to be underestimated, and definitely packs a punch. Like you said, there's nothing like it. I'd say its like having the pipe equivalent of enjoying a fine steak.

I wrote a review of it on my pipe blog, which you can read here.

DRIFTER68

Long, long time fan of Black Twist, as well as Brown and others. I like to smoke them all in a small bowl (often a Falcon). Slow burning, richly flavorful blends. I also like to use them as an addition to other blends, to spice them up a bit

Trout Whisperer

I tried it once. The savory, meaty flavor was intriguing. Unfortunately, that transmogrified into a burnt-rubber flavor, which, believe it or not, I do not care for.
I have two tines in the cellar, so hopefully time will mute the Saturday-night-NASCAR-short-track-hell-yeah-burn-rubber-baby flavor.