I am hooked

Mr R

My name is Larry. I am glad I found this forum. I am new to pipe smoking as a retired cigar guy. There is an elegance in my opinion to the art of pipe smoking. Just got my first pipe last week. It is an estate Dunhill. I paid just a fraction of the cost of a new one. I heard these pipes are supposed to be very nice pipes. I just wanted to introduce myself, and say I am looking forward to all of the people I hope to meet.

Moe Smoke

Hi Larry, I just started on my own pipe hobby 3 years ago... and how I envy you, just starting out. It has been a wonderful hobby, but also a fantastic journey of discovery, flavours and aromas!! There is so much to read, view (YTPC/BRTV) and learn about. And soooooo many great blends to try. I recommend keeping a journal of some sort and savoring the trip!!

All the best and welcome to the pipe forum!

Moe
Moe Smoke from Calgary AB, Canada

Scap

Howdy from Houston!
I'm only 12 months ahead of you, Larry, but I'm already a couple dozen pipes deep and have a whole credenza of baccy jarred. Is it still considered a slope if it's a vertical descent??? Lol

Mr R

Hi Larry, I just started on my own pipe hobby 3 years ago... and how I envy you, just starting out. It has been a wonderful hobby, but also a fantastic journey of discovery, flavours and aromas!! There is so much to read, view (YTPC/BRTV) and learn about. And soooooo many great blends to try. I recommend keeping a journal of some sort and savoring the trip!!

All the best and welcome to the pipe forum!

Moe
Moe Smoke from Calgary AB, Canada
Thanks for the journal idea. I am excited to try many blends. I just smoked my first bowl the other day. It was an aromatic. I had a good amount of tongue bite.

Mr R

Howdy from Houston!
I'm only 12 months ahead of you, Larry, but I'm already a couple dozen pipes deep and have a whole credenza of baccy jarred. Is it still considered a slope if it's a vertical descent??? Lol
I’m jealous. I have 4 pipes to my collection. For me, collecting pipes is like collecting art work. All 4 of my pipes are estate pipes. I have my eye wondering in the direction of a castello. Do you know if they are worth the money.

Scap

I’m jealous. I have 4 pipes to my collection. For me, collecting pipes is like collecting art work. All 4 of my pipes are estate pipes. I have my eye wondering in the direction of a castello. Do you know if they are worth the money.
I don't have one..........yet!
Castello are beautiful pipes, and one day I will have one. But then I'll want another.

Moe Smoke

I don't have one..........yet!
Castello are beautiful pipes, and one day I will have one. But then I'll want another.
Yes... I haven't pulled the trigger on a Castello yet, but have been eyeing them a lot. Mike at Briarblues.com is a Castello collector and always has a good variety of these pipes on his site. If you are interested in learning more, you can look up his YouTube channel... he has a lot of Castello content there.

I really enjoy estate pipes and own a fair number of them... I like the history of each one and it is mind-blowing that someone else enjoyed this pipe 30+ years ago in some cases... my oldest pipe (that I know of... sometimes dating is tough) is a 1965 Dunhill billiard... that's 55 years old! Kind of cool when you think about it. BTW, if you are careful when selecting one to buy, they can look practically new...

Good luck on your pipe hunt...

Mr R

Yes... I haven't pulled the trigger on a Castello yet, but have been eyeing them a lot. Mike at Briarblues.com is a Castello collector and always has a good variety of these pipes on his site. If you are interested in learning more, you can look up his YouTube channel... he has a lot of Castello content there.

I really enjoy estate pipes and own a fair number of them... I like the history of each one and it is mind-blowing that someone else enjoyed this pipe 30+ years ago in some cases... my oldest pipe (that I know of... sometimes dating is tough) is a 1965 Dunhill billiard... that's 55 years old! Kind of cool when you think about it. BTW, if you are careful when selecting one to buy, they can look practically new...

Thanks for the advice

Scap

I believe that Castello pipes are hand made. Whatever that means, I am not sure.
Ok, I may have been reading your question too literal. I feel confident they use power tools in the carving process, but I think I was reading it that you were asking if they were hand shaped with knives and rasps without the use of a lathe or French Wheel sander.