Help with tongue bite. What am I doing wrong?

Koodan

I’ve started getting tongue bite more. I was using the Frank Method to pack my pipe. I’ve changed it up and I am getting tongue bite. Also, in the past, coming from cigarettes, I tend to smoke too fast. Therefore I really dry out my tobacco, but have not been drying the tobacco as much. I guess I should go back to frying it out? Any suggestions are welcomed!

DRIFTER68

As a reformed cigarette smoker, I too had trouble with tongue bite at first. I learned from a friend that it was "cigarette tongue" and that as I got away from the butts, my tongue would heal. It did. Yes, slow down the puffing, skip aromatic blends at least for now.

Koodan

Hi! Thank you both for your responses. I’ve just now had the chance to get back on here. Great advice and good info!

In addition to the good advice above, filters cut down the steam on your tongue. If you use non filter pipes use some Nording stones or Denicool crystals in the bowl. Have a cool drink when you smoke and take sips in between to cool off you mouth. Biotene mouthwash will rehydrate your mouth and quickly sooth tongue bite but prevention is better than cure. Some blenders have very safe aromatics like Boswells No Tongue Bite Delight, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic or Briar Works Peach Cobbler which, in my experience, are really hard to get bitten from. If you pack the bowl a little lighter, you wont draw as hard and in turn wont fire up the bowl as much. Hope this helps😊