All in one pipe tool kit?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I use a single tool which has a tamper on one end and a "shovel" on the other. Do you guys use anything more fancy or robust? Generally I find the basic tool I use gets the job done.

Would be nice to find a quality lighter that has the tools built in, but the ones I've tried seem to be junk.

TurboTinMan

Yep, Czech tool or pipe nail for me. The lighters with multiple attachments don't seem to work so well. If they have an included tamper, that can work out OK while being unobtrusive. If you don't mind oil lighters, you can get a brass Douglass lighter that works as a tamper as well (Neo 3)

The Czech is great I agree, I also use a spent brass rifle shell case. The one in the news on Youtube is the 8 Deco, a Chinese maker, it has holes in the flat plate to avoid extinguishing and a concave cup shape. They are not expensive, look and handle well. The Artful Codger uses one so they must be good!

Yep, Czech tool or pipe nail for me. The lighters with multiple attachments don't seem to work so well. If they have an included tamper, that can work out OK while being unobtrusive. If you don't mind oil lighters, you can get a brass Douglass lighter that works as a tamper as well (Neo 3)
I have a Douglass Field S lighter in my collection. A quality Japanese lighter, good seals to preserve the fluid longer, very attractive!

Arkansas Bob

The two tampers I use right now are a non-galvanized 1/2" bolt (hehe) and a spent rifle casing. Eventually I am gonna splurge and buy that 8deco bamboo tamper that the Artful Codger mentioned in one of his vids. But if I spend money on decadent things like tampers thats less tobacco I can buy. :) j/k

The two tampers I use right now are a non-galvanized 1/2" bolt (hehe) and a spent rifle casing. Eventually I am gonna splurge and buy that 8deco bamboo tamper that the Artful Codger mentioned in one of his vids. But if I spend money on decadent things like tampers thats less tobacco I can buy. :) j/k
I guess all hunters have a shell case, me too! I was trying to find a caliber shell to cut down and fit on my finger tip, that would be an ideal tamper. 😉

Old Boy lighters have a tamper in the bottom that can pop out. Very nice. Great lighters. Possibly the best.

I like to have an assortment to fit my mood. Some are extremely fancy. Some are antler tips. Some are fuses or roofing nails. Love them all.

DRIFTER68

" Czech tool or pipe nail for me. " Yes, same here, keeping it simple.

Moe Smoke

In a pinch, I've used my finger... you want it to be out or have a good amount of ash built up before doing so (for obvious reasons!).

I've typically use a Czech tool, but have a Regal brand butane lighter made for pipes (side flame) that has a tamper, scraper and pick in the handle, like a swiss army knife. Comes in handy, but it is really hard to use with any wind at all... so it often stays in my pipe accessory cupboard. :cautious:

NJPiper

I started out with a Czech tool. I tacked this onto an order maybe a month ago, and I'll never go back. The domed shape and air holes provide for very effective tamping that allows me to get through 90% of smokes without a relight. I also like the larger size, which is more efficient (accomplishes more with fewer tamps). I also like that it has a pick that unscrews from the scoop.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=217449

dusanfle

I started out with a Czech tool. I tacked this onto an order maybe a month ago, and I'll never go back. The domed shape and air holes provide for very effective tamping that allows me to get through 90% of smokes without a relight. I also like the larger size, which is more efficient (accomplishes more with fewer tamps). I also like that it has a pick that unscrews from the scoop.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=217449
I'm going to get one for myself, i like it.

P.S. NIce profile image (y)

Paul305

I use a spent, but de-leaded, shell casing from a .45-70 Govt. The case-head/rim diameter fits a pipe bowl perfectly for a uniform tamp.
If you decide to use a spend casing, be warned that there is still some lead in a spent case.
If you de-cap (remove the primer) that will expose additional lead.
My advice would be to clean the case thoroughly with grease-cutting soap and white vinegar. You can either leave the spent primer in or remove it, but either way clean the casing thoroughly.

I have a bunch of Hornady brass that i cannot reload as well as .45 ACP brass and 7.62x39 steel cases.
I may decide to craft some pipe tools with these items. I need to source some bamboo...